Mt. Rainier and Lenticular Clouds - Dec. 2008 copyright: JMM

June 13, 2015

Glass Painting

I thought these pics made it on the other post of recent candles/glass work, but they didn't.  One of my friends told me about a frosted glass spray paint that I had no idea existed.  I ran right out to buy a can, grabbed a glass vase, put some masking tape on it and gave it a couple of coats.  It dries really fast, so you can do 2-3 coats right away.  I did learn that you really have to make sure the masking tape is completely stuck, which is hard with a curved vessel.  Some of the paint got underneath the edges.



One of my friends suggested a stencil so I got it all taped down and realized that if I wanted the stencil to be the clear part, I had to do a reverse stencil.  So I had to untape it, trace and cut it out, then I used a little mod podge to stick it to the glass.  After that I was able to apply the spray paint.  I did a fleur de lis on either side of it because it was the easiest stencil I have.  

I really love how this paint works and I'm eager to work with it some more.  

Decided to do a Mondrian-like design on this vase with gold glitter puff paint and then glass paint.

I was intending to bring this to my craft fair but I just can't part with it.  Russell liked it a lot too, and appreciated how much work it took, so I decided to keep it. 

This one was done with alcohol ink.

More alcohol ink candle items.

I used glitter glass paint for this Christmas tree piece.

Glass paint applied to the bottom of this elaborately designed cut glass dish.

Glass paint dots.

18 comments:

  1. Whoa! JoJo! Those are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn! I only sold the sunburst plate and I donated the tall vase for the raffle. Nothing else sold at my craft fair today. :(

      Delete
  2. PS: I have tried the frosted glass paint, too. Love it. It doesn't do well with windex, though. I didn't know that, tried to clean an item and paint came off.
    Love the Mondrian piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! I never would've thought of paint coming off w/ windex. I wonder if water makes it come off? Maybe I should experiment before I go totally nuts with it.

      Delete
  3. Looking at your crafts, JoJo is almost as much fun as going to a craft fair. I used to do a lot of crafts before I had kids, and encouraged both our girls to do a lot as well. They both draw and paint, one does excellent beading, and the other does humorous pottery. It makes me happy seeing things people make with their hands. . .thank you for 'beautifying' the world, (that might not be a real word. . .)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! You are very kind to say. :) I would love to see your daughter's beading. I love beads. And the humourous pottery too!

      Delete
  4. Hey JoJo,

    Wow, your glass painting looks awesome. Another visual delight here that displays more of your creative talents. I thank you for that.

    Enjoy the rest of your weekend, eh.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gary! Sadly I have a feeling this stuff will be going to the Goodwill or thrift shop or something. I love to make stuff but if people don't buy it, I get sick of looking at it.

      Delete
  5. Great paint jobs JoJo. Clever girl. Lot of patience too. I would never be able to sit still for the Mondrian glass. Hope you sales went well today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jo! Well my desire for multicoloured 'stained' glass outweighed my normal impatience. I will say that it was challenging to keep the gold paint lines flowing evenly, even with the fine tip point.

      Delete
  6. Oh gosh those glasses are stunning.
    Especially love the Mondrian glass.
    Beautiful.
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so good with your art work! I like the frosted paint work and the candle holder but I like the Mondrain one the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nancy! Yes I couldn't part with that little vase either!

      Delete
  8. Absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What lovely glass work! I especially liked that frosted fleur de lis vase and the Mondrian piece. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! The fleur vase didn't sell so I still have it. I might keep it.

      Delete